Thursday, June 14, 2012

Queenless swarm hive has a laying queen

The swarm hive started from the trap at Essie's house had a rough first month. There were lots of emergency queen cells in it after the first week. I added a frame of capped brood to keep the population up and a frame of eggs each week in case they still needed to make a new queen. Yesterday I opened up the hive to check on things and found fresh eggs on the two center frames of the top box. I'm very excited that they have successfully made their own queen and she is laying eggs!

I have also inspected the South package hive. This colony is fairly small compared to the North package hive. They have filled out six of the ten frames in the upper box now, whereas the North hive has completely filled 24 frames total, and I haven't seen it in a week, so I'll bet it's into the fourth box pretty good already.

No comments:

Post a Comment